Standing tall along the western coast of Whidbey Island, these 10” barrel guns tell the story of a relationship to the United States Department of Defense that began long before any plane took flight. At the time of its construction in the late 1800s, Fort Casey was a military marvel. Part of the “Triangle of Fire,” this military outpost was one of many strategically placed along the Puget Sound as the first line of defense against aquatic attack. Unfortunately, this magnificent fort’s usefulness was short-lived. By the 1920s Fort Casey’s impressive disappearing guns had already become obsolete and in 1956 the property was purchased by Washington State Parks and Recreation. Today, this fort is one of the most frequented state parks in Washington and a deeply embedded part of Whidbey Island culture.
Check out the rest of Whidbey’s beautiful destinations from this series here.