With spring upon us and gardening on the top of our minds lets discuss 5 simple landscaping ideas to spruce up your space this spring before you rush out and use your 20% off plants at Mailliards Landing Nursery coupon during the month of April. Don’t have one but want one? Request yours here!
- Do you have a side yard that doesn’t get much sun? You probably find yourself feeling defeated when you are constantly left with patchy grass intermingled with mud when you were shooting for a lush green lawn. This is a sight for sore eyes, but this defeated feeling can be instantly cured with landscaping material such as pea gravel, sand, or steppingstones. A smooth, full look in this type of area is appealing to the eye and can give your yard a polished look that is not only simple to create but is also easy to maintain. Pro tip! Spruce it up with some potted seasonal flowers to brighten the space when you feel necessary.
- Determine your yards focal point. This is typically one big item. It can be a tree, a shrub, or a hardscape item like an arch, bench, or sculpture. Perhaps your yard already has one? If so, work with it to enhance eyes towards that focal point. If you don’t have one, Mailliards has a plethora of plants, shrubs and hardscape ideas to get your yard from 0 to 100 in no time!
- Create a flower bed. When choosing plants, lean on the expertise of garden store staff (they typically have a plethora of knowledge in this area). Then experiment with plants that work well in that location based on the level of sun, shade, and soil quality.
- PRO TIP: Choose native plants! These are plants that grow naturally in your area, are economical, and super easy to care for because they flourish with little to no help and are still enjoyable to look at.
- Add fresh mulch to flower and garden beds. Keep in mind that dark new mulch not only protects your plants, but it prevents weed growth and creates a fresh clean look for your yard.
Let your creativity flow. Post a picture to your social when you are done and tag us in it. We would love to see your finished product!
If you are considering buying or selling and would like to dive deeper into this subject, we would be happy to schedule a consult with you at your home to show you even more low-cost tips and tricks for maximizing your sale price! Call us today at 360.675.5953 or email us at email@example.com.
If you liked this article you might also like: Best ways to increase curb appeal for under $100 this Spring.
Even in the hottest seller’s market Whidbey Island has ever seen, it’s obvious that curb appeal is still fetching top dollar. In fact, now more than ever a phenomenal home that is attractively presented is able to create such a stir that buyers are battling over who will get it. If you are selling soon don’t skimp on the power of curb appeal, the return on a small investment of time, elbow grease, and new plants will never be higher! We’ve prepared a list of 6 ways to increase your curb appeal and sell for top dollar. Don’t leave anything on the table in this market!
Perhaps you are not planning to sell… these tips will help you fall in love with your space that much more without breaking the bank. So, keep reading.
1. Mailliard’s Landing Nursery plants!
A manicured lawn, established trees, shrubs, and plants are all obvious ways to increase your home’s curb appeal but adding some seasonal flowers for a pop of color or replacing anything that’s looking a little scraggly and old is the all-important icing on the cake!
During the month of April, Windermere Whidbey Island partners with Mailliard’s Landing Nursery to offer you 20% off your purchase of plants when you present our Mailliard’s offer card. Don’t have this card but want one? Email us your address and let us know you want the Mailliards card and we will pop it in the mail for you. Eager to get it sooner? Just stop by our office and pick one up.
*Expert-tip: start small with a few fast-growing trees like these top picks!
Emerald Green Arborvitae
In addition to being fast-growing these trees need little maintenance, just water them regularly and fertilize them in the spring and fall. Doing so will not only increase your home’s curb appeal but will also, increase your property value, reduce your utility bill, improve air quality, and even reduce your stress.
2. Paint the front door!
Give your entrance a huge boost with a fresh new look. A gallon of exterior paint costs roughly $35 – $50 dollars and is an instant way to make your home stand out! It is ok to go bold here just be careful to make sure it accentuates the rest of your home.
Before you start, ensure that the door is properly prepped for painting to get the best results that will last for years to come.
We love before and after pics of front door refreshes! When you’re finished post a pic to your social and tag us so we can see what you’ve done!
3. Pressure wash!
Cleaning out not just the front entrance but a quick wash for the entire house to make it look fresh and well cared for. This includes your driveway, walkways, fences, gutters, siding, garage doors, and patio furniture. Living in the Pacific Northwest means mold, moss, and just general organic growth can cover most surfaces. What may be almost imperceptible to the naked eye will still look freshened up with a good scrub. If you don’t have a pressure washer you can rent one here. Don’t forget to always start on the lowest pressure to prevent damage to your surfaces. *Pro-tip: move from top to bottom and out towards the street.
4. Define your yard’s entry.
If your walkway starts at the street, make it a grand entrance to make your guests feel welcomed and invited. A good way to create this feeling is by decorating your entrance with planters, a fence, pavers, gravel, or solar path lighting. Remember to request your 20% off at Mailliard’s Landing Nursery card so you can get plants to fill the planter boxes.
5. Replace your mailbox
If your mailbox is old, dented, or rusty and a little cleaning doesn’t do the trick, purchase a new one some of them are as little as $20! If you are moving the placement, make sure you are following regulations. You can find them here at the United States Post Office website.
6. Clean or update your house numbers and lighting
Do something chic with your house number. Make sure the numbers are visible from the street and that they add to the appeal of your home. Get creative, put them on planters by your new grand entrance or add a succulent planter box at your front door and display your number across the front. Let your creativity flow. Post a picture to your social when you are done and tag us in it. We would love to see your finished product!
If you are considering buying or selling and would like to dive deeper into this subject we would be happy to schedule a consult with you at your home to show you even more low-cost tricks and tips for maximizing your sale price! Call us today at 360.675.5953.